Advantages of Utilizing Fabric Type Expansion Joints vs. Metallic:
– Fabric expansion joints can allow for greater duct movements
– Fabric expansion joints transfer less load and therefore reduce damage to adjacent equipment and ductwork.
– Metallic joints crack due to fatigue. Fabric belts also fail in time however they are much easier and less costly to replace than metallic bellows.
– Fabric expansion joints can be supplied with internal insulation pillows which serve as noise and thermal barriers.
– Depending on the application the cost of fabric expansion joints is competitive if not more advantageous than metallic expansion joints.